Links to useful Internet sites.Introduction
These are my personal links to help me get around the WWW. This 'collection' was started in 1995, before web browsers had 'bookmarks' and web sites used 'frames'. I try to keep these pages up to date. Please email me with corrections and updates. My interests are shown by the headings below. I suggest that you click on one of these to find possible links of use to you. A few links are to local files which are only visible from my PCs.
- Annual Reports of the `BHF Cardiovascular Immunology Research Group': 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995.
- Read my book on `Eosinophils' in Adobe's `Acrobat' format. It was published in 1988 and reviews the literature up that time, with 2,019 references concerning eosinophils and diseases with eosinophilia.
Computers and computing at this site
- Disk cloning: my suggestions for making backups of system disks.
- Getting help with software on PCs.
- Guide to install a Polaroid 'SprintScan CS-4000' with 'PolaColor Insight Pro' v 4 on a PC.
- Guides to install Microsoft's 'Windows 2000 Professional' and 'NT 4' on Toshiba Tecra 730 computers.
- Guide to install Microsoft's 'Windows 2000 Professional' on a Toshiba Tecra 8100 computer
- PC hardware. Details of my Dell Precision 610MT workstation, Toshiba Tecra 8100 and Tecra 730XCDT notebook computers and Gateway P5-75 tower PC.
- PC software. A list of the programs on my PCs with links to where I got them.
- Password protecting 'FrontPage' web pages.
- Secure connections between computers using 'ssh'.
- Small networks: client-server, peer-to-peer, modem dialup, ADSL and wireless (radio) networks. ADSL in the UK
Additional computing resources from others:
- Illustrated guide to computers and software, by Michael B Karbo. A 'Click & Learn' self study course.
- Robert Lawrence's single and dual NT/Windows'95 installationinstructions.
'Indy' administration. Links to the 'help' files that I use to backup and administer my Indy.
- Backing up the system disk
- Setting up and configuration
- Configuring Sundry advice for Indy administrators.
- `inn' NNTP news server on IRIX 6.2.
- Installing Microsoft's `FrontPage98 Server Extensions' for Netscape's'Communications' Server under IRIX 6.2 and Netscape's'FastTrack' Server under IRIX 6.5.
- Installing Apache web server v 1.3.12, MySQL v 3.22.21, PHP v 3.0.16 and Microsoft's 'FrontPage2000 Server Extensions' on an Indy running IRIX 6.5.8
- Installing the 'Samba' 'SMB' server using the current version. Installing 'libdes' password encryption for earlier versions of `Samba'.
- Installing POP and IMAP4 mail server on a SGI Indy under IRIX 6.5.
- `ppp' connection to enablemodem PPP phone connections, using an Hayes 28.8 modem.
- Printer configuration: install Hewlett Packard 'LaserJet III' and Tektronix 'Phaser 740 Plus' printers.
- How to ensure that your Indy shows the correct timezone:TimeZone in IRIX 6.*
- How to ensure that your Indy shows the correct time: `ntpd'time correction on IRIX 6.5*.
- How to set up 'ssh1' and 'ssh2'on an Indy. These are secure replacements for 'telnet'.
Silicon Graphics 'Indy' hardware. A list with links to information about the components.
Silicon Graphics IRIX software. A list of the IRIX programs on my Indy.
Links to other places of interest on Internet: Scientific, Medical and General Interest links.
Scientific and Medical: alphabetically by subject
- Anatomy & embryology
- Astronomy, Astrophysics & NASA
- Biochemistry & Biophysics
- Biology including Natural History
- Cardiology & cardiac surgery
- Communicable & Tropical diseases
- Geography, weather, atmospheric resources, & earth sciences
- Mathematics & Statistics
- Medicine & Dentistry
- Molecular & cell biology
- Molecular modelling, Molecular Graphics & Crystallography
- Neurosciences & Mental Health
- Pharmacology & drug studies
- Veterinary Medicine
Computing: computers, software and computing resources
- Academic Computer Departments
- Computer companies
- Software sources
- Windows 98, Windows NT & Windows 2000 beta 3 resources
- Linux and Toshiba `Tecra' computers
- SGI software & hardware, European mirrors included.
- Using the Internet, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and ADSL
- email & spam software
- Web software: Netscape, Mosaic, Cello etc.
- Usenet news, online conferences and weblogs.
- Preparation of HTML documents &web databases.
- Convert files to HTML format, cgi & Perl scripts, forms & clickable maps.
- Security & encryption.
- Digital video:
Finding people & commercial resources
- Gopher, email & phone directories
- Commercial resources, Patents, Restaurants & shopping
- Travel: air, rail, road and sea
- Laboratory equipment, reagent suppliers & administration
Culture and entertainment
- Art, graphics & movies
- Entertainment, games, events, sport, & home information
- History and genealogy
- Radio, TV & Music & video
The printed word: resources to do with libraries, magazines & book
- Libraries & Museums
- Books, literature & poetry
- News: newspapers, magazines & journals
- Scientific and Medical databases & Journals
- Computing journals, magazines & societies
- Dictionaries, languages & encyclopaedias
Commercial & Financial
- Finance, investment, tax, insurance & currency UK & USA.
- Guide to managing personal financeswith a PC, finance software and internet resources
Charities, Societies & religious organizations
Go to the 'home page'